Saturday, May 14, 2005

Beefy's not bothered

BBC SPORT | Cricket | England | Botham unworried by batting blips

Ian Botham is clearly a lot less concerned than I am about the form of England's batsmen. On the selection front, if Thorpe is fit, then I would pick him at five, with Vaughan at three and Bell at four. If he's not (and I don't think he will be), then I'd propose a straight swap with Pietersen - we know all about what Key can do and watching him take Bangladesh apart will tell us nothing new, but Bell has one test cap and Pietersen none - if you can't blood new talent against Bangladesh, when can you ? Similarly, I would give Jon Lewis a run at Lord's, see what the lad can do.

My XI : Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Bell, Pietersen, Flintoff, Jones, Giles, Hoggard, Harmison, Lewis.

No comments: