Monday, June 27, 2005

Dieting more lethal than obesity

I was put onto reports of this study by Tim Worstall, but I have to say it makes a lot of sense - as someone who is 'carrying a bit of timber', and yet plays sport three times a week, I generally feel fine, EXCEPT when I try and go on a diet.

I also feel the NHS are currently obsessed by weight - every time I go the doctor with some minor ailment, I get told 'you need to lose weight'. Well yes, I probably do but that's not the cause of the problem. I think GPs have become very lazy and look to that every time, and I think that if there WAS something seriously wrong with me, they'd probably miss it due to the fat focus.

Also, they've GOT to get away from the BMI as a useful measure - I come from a family with big shoulders, and in my most recent trip to the GP, was told my ideal weight was eleven and a half stone. I told him that I weighed thirteen stone when I was nineteen and as lean and fit as it was possible to be. Frankly, in my mid-thirties, if I could down into the fourteen somethings, I'd be happy...

No comments: