Thursday, November 03, 2005

Arsenal through, United out

Arsenal's lucky draw pays off, and they are through to the last 16 with two games to spare.

Manchester United however, are running third and have the group leaders (Villareal) at home and Benfica away. Horror of horrors, for the first time in ten years, they may not make it to the knock-out stages.

Having never been a hardcore ABU (Anyone But United, for the uninitiated), I think I can fairly say that this is the most negative United side I've seen in twenty years (since the Sexton era) - 4-5-1 does not reflect the approach I have begrudgingly appreciated for the last 12 years or so. Given the recent board upheaval, Ferguson cannot afford to lose the fans at this juncture, or he'll be out on his ear, but from what I hear, he's no longer as untouchable as he once was.

As a Villa supporter, I'd love that level of 'failure' in a manager...just goes to show how fickle football fans can be.

No comments: